Orgvue case study: How the European Broadcasting Union managed a successful 4-year transformation
A business transformation case study with Orgvue.
Using Orgvue for business transformation
Rapid changes in the way society generates, consumes and accesses information have brought radical shifts to the global workforce and businesses. The media industry in particular is experiencing a huge disruption – new innovative players are flooding the market and rewriting the rules of the game. Existing players will have to change and adapt to these rules to compete.
The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) is one successful transformation case. The EBU is the world’s leading alliance of public service media (PSM), with 73 members across 56 European countries, and an additional 34 associates in Asia, Africa and the Americas. EBU members operate over 1,800 television and radio channels together with numerous online platforms.
Fifty skills areas were analyzed to meet future needs
Seventy three organizations can use the benchmarking model created
Only two months to collect and convert skills data into a local taxonomy
Orgvue helped us map skills, identify gaps, quantify the challenge and build the case for investing in our people. We’re now ready to roll out this model to two pilot countries and will then be applying it across the whole of Europe.
Frode Hvaring, Head of Human Resources, EBU
- In 2016, EBU members and stakeholders decided to kick-off a four-year global transformation project that will turn it to an organization that is fit for the future.
- As a strategic masterplan, the EBU created Vision2020 to identify how major changes in global behavioral patterns will shape the media industry and how the EBU should respond through fundamental structural changes.
- Design the workforce that is fit for the future – connecting people, roles, activities and competencies.
- One of the project’s strategic objectives is to align the skills, knowledge and experience of its workforce to those that meet future business requirements. In order to identify where the skill gaps are, The EBU needed to build a future-proof competency framework that could be used throughout the employee lifecycle and scaled globally.
- Delivered rapid insights for robust workforce planning and better investment decisions.
- Successfully mapped 50-70 key roles to 400 positions in job families.
- Impactful decision quantification of skill gaps to identify workforce investments with the greatest skills impact.
- On-going value Flexible competencies modeling that can be rolled out globally and adapted with future changes.
Working with the EBU’s HR management team and the ESCO (European Skills, Competences, Qualifications and Occupations) initiatives, the Orgvue team built a robust process to map, categorize and rate the links between job positions and competences for the EBU workforce. Orgvue’s capabilities to set many-to-many connections and to extract valuable insights across datasets allowed the EBU to quantify the difference between current skillsets and future skillset requirements for each role and how this gap is distributed across the organization. Orgvue’s flexible linking features and powerful visualizations helped the EBU to identify critical skill gaps in the workforce and target its investments plans for developing its human capital efficiently.
On-going capability to propel future progress
Using Orgvue, the EBU was able to unlock sustainable value that its workforce can take into the future. In addition to in-depth understanding of its workforce’s needs, the EBU now has a centralized skills repository that it can easily update with future changes. The skills taxonomy and competencies analysis can now be rolled out to any of its member organizations globally, enabling the EBU to build a holistic, on-going strategy for future workforce transformation.
Request your free demo
Design your business of tomorrow, today. Discover what Orgvue can do for your organization first-hand.